Sign Up for Agenda Updates
Fire Protection and Safety in Tunnels 2020 – A Virtual Experience
DAY 1|30th June 2020
9:00 am Chair’s opening remarks
9:15 am Exploring the investigation results of a heavy good vehicle fire in the Gudvanga tunnel, Norway
- Examining and comparing the last of three large tunnel fires in the Gudvanga tunnel since 2013.
- Understanding critical fire situations in long bidirectional road tunnels.
- Exploring self-rescue operations, its possibilities, and limitations.
- Shedding light on the ongoing processes and findings to implement on future fires in long tunnels.
Per Olav Hetland
Inspector of Accidents
Accident Investigation Board Norway (AIBN)
9:45 am Dual vision for automatic incident detection and fire detection
- Delving into the flag ship product for Automatic Incident Detection in road tunnels and on highways, with focus on the ITS-Series Dual
- Looking at the embedded processing unit of the ITS-Series Dual to reduce delay, including video streaming and removal of high-maintenance servers
- Examining benefits of ITS-Series Dual compared to current conventional systems in detecting fires in the initial stages
Steffen De Muynck
FLIR Systems, Inc.
10:15 am Discovering management of fire safety and emergency planning in the construction phase to minimise the risk of life
- Uncovering best practice to safeguard the workforce during the tunnel construction phase
- Addressing the impact of damage and disturbances when constructing tunnels, including blasting
- Examining challenges related to cross passageways in a means to escape
- Managing failures in construction and operation and finding underground solutions to meet construction requirements
Head of Tunnel Security
10:45 am Morning networking
11:00 am Fire Protection & Safety in the New Copenhagen Cityringen Metro
- Presenting the features of the Cityringen Metro line in operation
- Outlining fire safety requirements for a state of the art underground infrastructure
- The definition of the tunnel ventilation strategy through a comparative analysis of different alternative design solutions
- Commissioning and validation phase: the role of cold flow simulations
Technical & Design Director
CMT Copenhagen Metro Team
11:30 am Session reserved for Areo-X
12:00 pm Improving tunnelling design and construction to enhance safety
- Uncovering best practice to safeguard the workforce during construction the underground.
- Addressing the impact and damage of assets above the tunnel.
- Examining challenges related to construction of new cross passages inside existing operating underground station and connect new tunnel to existing operating loop tunnel.
- Controls of tunnel construction to manage risks.
Senior Tunnel Engineer
Transport for London
12:30 pm Session reserved for sponsorship
1:00 pm Lunch and networking
1:15 pm Renovation of the Brussels North South Rail Link
- Dividing an existing tunnel into 3 separate tubes
- Prioritisation of scenarios and chronology
- Importance of wayfinding during evacuation
Fire Safety Enginee
1:45 pm Session available for sponsorship
2:15 pm Gert-Jan Ransijn, Machine Safety Consultant, Uithoflijn
2:45 pm Session reserved for Syntony
3:15 pm Chair’s summary and close of conference
The Fire Protection and Safety in Tunnels Conference programme is organised in collaboration with industry and offers fresh insight and practical take-aways for enhancing tunnel safety. If you would like to get involved, contact our team at:
T: +44 (0) 2079366960